If you're looking for a hearty and nutritious soup, look no further than sea moss soup! This traditional Irish soup is packed with nutrients and flavor and is sure to fill you up on a cold winter day.
Sea moss is a type of seaweed rich in vitamins and minerals, including iodine, calcium, and iron. It's also a good fiber source, making it an ideal ingredient for a healthy soup.
Now, you may be interested in making your own sea moss soup. Lucky for you, we have listed down our best sea moss soup recipes for you to try out.
Leek and Potato Soup with Sea Moss
If you love a classic leek and potato soup, you can spice it up by adding some sea moss to it. Below are the basic ingredients that you can use for your soup.
- 1 cup sea moss gel
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chopped leek
- ½ cup celery
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups almond/soy/walnut milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
If you want to add some spices or other vegetables to this soup, feel free to do so! But if you want to keep it simple, that’s all you need to include above.
- Fry your leek and celery in vegetable oil. Do this until the fragrance has been released. Then, you can add your potatoes.
- Allow your potatoes to fry just a bit, then add your vegetable broth, then let it come to a boil.
- Once boiling, keep your fire to a low and mix it every now and then until the potatoes are soft.
- Once your potatoes are soft or nearly cooked, you can add in other vegetables that you want.
- When all the vegetables are cooked, add your milk and sea moss gel and give it a good mix.
- Add salt, pepper, and any other spices you want to add.
- Enjoy your sea moss soup!
Plant-Based Vegan Sea Moss Soup
Now if you’re looking for something plant-based sea moss soup that gives you a good serving of vegetables, then this recipe is for you. Check out the ingredients below.
- 3 carrots
- 1 sprig parsley
- 3 ½ cup tomatoes (crushed)
- 1 ½ cup lentils (soaked overnight)
- ½ cup dry sea moss (soaked overnight)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 red onions
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable stalks
- Salt, pepper, paprika, and other spices
Feel free to add more veggies like spinach, lettuce, and more.
- Chop your vegetables to the size you prefer
- Add your olive oil to a pan, and add your onions and garlic
- Saute them, then add your vegetables and let them cook for a while
- Add your crushed tomatoes and let them saute along with the other veggies
- Sprinkle in the seasoning and mix everything
- Add your lentils and dried sea moss. Make sure to cut up the sea moss before adding it in
- Add your veggie broth and bay leaves before bringing the soup to a boil
- Lower your flame and let the soup cook for about an hour
- Serve with a sprinkle of parsley on the top
Sea moss soup is a great source of iodine, which is essential for thyroid function. It is also a good source of calcium, iron, and magnesium. If you're looking for a hearty and nutritious soup, look no further than sea moss soup!
If you are looking for dried sea moss to turn into soups, you can get them from Plant Based Jeff. Not only do we offer natural products but also e-books to learn more about living a plant-based lifestyle. Shop from our product collection today!